Friday, October 29, 2004

Why dont I feel like going for one of these !?

Snapped from http://www.openforce.at/mozparty2/
Remember the Mozilla 1.0 Release? Mozilla supporters were partying all over the world! But now, it's 1.0 time again - for Mozilla Firefox and Mozilla Thunderbird Join the parties and help making the next months browser statistics way different :-)

Have a look at which countries are participating !
Suprisingly ! our own Pune is on the list.

I had a good look there, to see if it would be really worthwhile going for one of these , coz I think its a damn neat idea to party all over the world, its like new years day. BUT ! although I dont have anything against firefox/thunderbird ( in fact its all I use .. both on windows + linux) I just dont feel enthu enough.

Look at the banglore LUG participation and then look at Pune's. Then I went to PLUG's (Pune linux users group) mailing list, they seemed to be talking about how they could use this as an oppurtunity to spread their existence awareness. I've been to one PLUG meeting some two years back... it was boring as hell. Sure they were geeks, but the community seemed very small, and something was missing. Some of the guys couldnt even speak proper english ! I personally, fall instantly asleep listening to such people... esp when they're delivering lectures. Pune seems to lack active participation from the "working" public. PLUG seems to be full of engineering students. Its good, but I think if there are many experienced people who have proven their smartness by contributing to open source significantly and thus acquiring "bragging rights" ... it would be a lot more cooler. izz jes what I feel.

BangLinux .. the bangalor LUG .. appears to be a big group.. they have these massive events sponsered by industry tycoons.. which immediately stikes an impression.

But then again, do we really need a reason to paaardy , huh ? ; )




No comments: