Monday, November 15, 2004

Mailing list flame wars ..

There's no end to this ! It all started the day I started my job, and was giving a task of writing some snippets in an LCD driver; in linux of course. I had to find out some ways of getting hold of memory allocated by the kernel cache pool, for ARM ( Advanced RISC machines) architectures. So I posted this query on the ARM mailing lists, from my hotmail account. Little did I know, every mail I sent from hotmail to the list, was getting duplicated as a new entry ! Russel King , the _dude_ who wrote and maintains the ARM linux kernels, got pissed off and started to abuse. He said " and wtf (why the fsck) do you think you can post it twice everytime !? ", to which I retorted " htf ( how the fsck ) do I know that its comes twice through hotmail !?" ... and it continued from there on .. However, I had many people to my defense,.. someone there said to Russel that he should cool down, coz everyone knows how hard he works and etc etc .. At the end of it , I didnt get the answer to my question at all ! later on , of course I got the job done.

Again, on the linux LVM (logical volume manager) mailing lists , I wanted to know if the RAID 1 driver could be done on 1 disk with several partitions on it... coz so far we've read from texts that RAID <> needs more than one disk and so on ...

Now, the reason why I asked about RAID 1 on one disk was, to find an alternative to hacking the kernel IDE subsystem and obtaining the same functionality of RAID 1 ( mirroring).
History repeated again, only this time , my mails didnt repeat, but people started asking me the same question over and over again , as to why would anyone be as silly to have RAID 1 on a single disk !

Im like " tere baap ka kya jara" , I just need to know if its possible or not , simple. Although I got the answer to it, some really inquisitive chap found it hard to believe that I could hack the kernel IDE subsys to get RAID 1 functionality and so wanted to know how its done. I told him that, and yet again , the dude ,wonders why I was trying to do it, when "md" ( multiple disk) modules were part of the kernel these days ! Again "tere baap ka kya jara" ...

So, moral of the story, expect uber-geeks to act really stupid once in a while.

But still class Geek : public Earth {

AKA The geek shall inherit the Earth.

PS: Just in case you're still wondering why the IDE hack ? ( im sure most of you arent) ..well, RAID needs to have "formatted "partitions with filesystems mounted on them ... So the IDE hack , will eleminate that need , all I need is one formatted partition , be it any filesystem, the rest could very well be unallocated space ! , kewl in'nit ?

No comments: